PCM - Gospel Prayer (Lectio Divina)
Saint Francis of Assisi Church
GOSPEL PRAYER / Lectio Divina
Mondays 11:45 am to 12:30 Noon
Lectio Divina (Latin for "Divine Reading") is an ancient prayer practice that teaches that God speaks to us through His Written Word – the Bible. The format is the Scripture Reading, Meditation, Prayer, and Contemplation. We use the Gospel for our Prayer. This promotes listening as a means to grow in Communion with God and increases knowledge of God's Will in our life. Lectio Divina does not treat Scripture as texts to be studied, but as God’s Living Word spoken to us.
- 11:45am Gathering
- 11:50am Lectio/Read Read the Scripture passage yourself. Listen with the “ear of the heart” to any phrase, sentence or even one word that stands out for you. Repeat the word or phrase over and over.
- 12 Noon (bells) Meditatio/Meditate
- The Gospel passage is read aloud. Circle or underline a word, phrase, sentence that speaks to you. Ask yourself WHY God is drawing you to this.
- 12:10pm Oratio/Pray - The Gospel passage is read aloud again. Share your word or phrase aloud. Be attentive to others for God speaks through others.
- 12:20pm Contemplatio/Rest in God and Listen
Begin with prayer:
Come, Holy Spirit,
fill the hearts of your faithful,
and enkindle in us the fire of your love.
Send forth your Spirit and we shall be created,
and you shall renew the face of the earth. Amen.
Be quiet in Solitude and Adoration.
- 12:30pm (bells) - Leave the Church in silence.